This position is for individuals who want to lead a team of athletes through training and competition. Head Coaches assist with the recruitment of Athletes, Coaches and Team Volunteers. Head Coaches create, organize and conduct a comprehensive sports training program training program. Special Olympics Southern California will provide sports training through our Coaches Education program for individuals interested in this position. Head Coaches are appointed by the Region/Area.
- At least 18 years or older with a government issued ID (driver’s license, military ID or passport).
- Must have knowledge and/or experience in the sport that you are coaching.
- This position requires one weekday or weekend (approximately 2-3 hours) for practice during an 8 (minimum) to 12 (maximum) week season with occasional time during the week (approximately 1-2 hours) for planning.
- This position requires 2-3 weekends for athlete competitions during the season.
- Submit a Volunteer Interest Form
- Must submit an online volunteer application that will include a background check, an online General Orientation, Protective Behaviors, Concussion, and Training Special Olympics Athletes (TSOA) Training.
- Complete in person Sports Specific Skills Training.
- Re-certification required every 3 years for background check, General Orientation, Protective Behaviors, and Concussion Training.